Most Require An Electrician
COMMON SENSE - See, Hear, Smell, Touch
1. SEE smoke from appliance, office equipment, receptacle (outlet), or electrical panel.
a) Unplug smoking appliance or office equipment
b) Turn off circuit breaker (at electrical panel) for smoking outlet
c) Turn off main OUTDOOR circuit breaker (adjacent to meter) for smoking electrical panel
Do Not Approach Smoking Electrical Panel >>> Severe Burn and Explosion Hazard
2. HEAR sound like frying eggs from inside an electrical panel.
a) Turn off main OUTDOOR circuit breaker (adjacent to meter) for sound like frying eggs.
b) Turn off main INDOOR circuit breaker (at top of electrical panel) ONLY if no smoke is present
3. SMELL smoke, burning plastic, or an acrid odor from electrical devices or equipment.
a) Unplug device or equipment
4. HOT TO TOUCH electrical device, cord, plug, or panel.
a) Unplug device or equipment
b) Turn off main OUTDOOR circuit breaker (adjacent to meter) if hot electrical panel
Do Not Approach Hot Electrical Panel >>> Severe Burn and Explosion Hazard
BLINKING, DIMMING, BRIGHTENING LIGHTS, ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT DESTROYED (Bad connections)
1. Lights turn on and off for no apparent reason. (Possible loose connection - potential fire hazard) Call electrician.
2. Lights become very bright (and possibly burn out) when small appliances or vacuum are used. Call electrician.
3. All lights become very dim when air conditioning unit turns on. Call electrician.
4. Electronic equipment destroyed for no apparent reason. Call electrician.
ELECTRICAL SHOCK (Ground fault and line voltage at metal parts)
1. You receive a shock when touching a range hood. Turn off circuit breaker. Call electrician.
2. You receive a shock when touching the range, oven, or cook-top. Turn off circuit breaker. Call electrician.
3. You receive a shock when touching a faucet or sink. Avoid all plumbing. Call electrician.
1. Garage door opener failure. (Direct strike to utility line or roof of house)
2. Simultaneous refrigerator and microwave failure. (Strike to utility line)
3. Computer DSL modem failed (only). (Strike to telephone line)
4. Cable modem and TV failure (only). (Strike to cable shield)
5. Cable TV and telephone device failure. (Strike to utility ground within 250 feet of home)
6. All of the above. (Direct strike to utility transformer or ground at or near home)
SPA or POOL GFCI Circuit Breaker Tripped (Electrocution hazard)
1. GFCI circuit breaker to hot tub or spa is tripped. (Probable pump, heater, or air blower failure) Call licensed spa technician.
2. GFCI circuit breaker to pool tripped. (Probable pump or pool light failure) Call licensed pool technician.
PORTABLE GENERATOR HAZARDS (Death or manslaughter)
1. Never operate a portable generator inside a home or garage. (Death by asphyxiation or carbon monoxide poisoning)
2. Never connect a portable generator to your home without a LEGAL transfer switch. (You may kill a utility lineman.)
LEGACY PROBLEMS (Insurance company refuses to insure your home)
1. Knob and tube wiring discovered during insurance inspection
2. Fuse panels with glass Edison fuses discovered during insurance inspection
3. FPE (Federal Pacific Electric) electrical panels, meter bases, or disconnects
4. Zinsco brand electrical panels - especially those with aluminum bus bars
5. Aluminum wiring in homes, apartments, or condos built between 1971 & 1973.
INDUCED PROBLEMS (Call a licensed electrician)
1. Unsafe wiring practices used by previous homeowner.
2. Unsafe wiring practices used by an unlicensed electrician.